Truck Accident Attorney in Buffalo, NY
By taking one look at the size of many commercial vehicles, you can grasp the severe, life-threatening implications of being involved in a truck accident. New York roadways are heavily trafficked by box trucks, semis, tractor trailers, delivery trucks, and many other large commercial vehicles. Unfortunately, truck collisions are on the rise. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration 2018 Fact Sheet, both fatalities and fatal crashes were up 8 percent over the previous year.
If you were seriously injured in a collision with a truck or other commercial vehicle, you can count on our truck accident lawyers at Richmond Vona, LLC to represent you with great skill and integrity. We have decades of combined experience representing victims in Western New York, and we’re fully prepared to fight for your justice. Please contact our firm to set up a no-cost case assessment with a Buffalo truck accident attorney.
“He is a miracle worker. He found someone who knew my Dad who had passed away over 50 years ago. No easy feat. He works very, very hard for his clients. Knowledgeable and kind. I highly recommend him”
Your Rights as a Victim of a Truck Accident
- You need to show that the truck operator had a duty to exercise reasonable care when driving
- You must present facts that the driver of the semi breached this duty
- You need to establish a direct link between the breach of duty and the truck accident in which you were injured and,
- You must show that you sustained losses as a result of being hurt
Examples of negligence in a truck collision claim may include:
Improper lane changes
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Taking corners and turns too quickly
Improperly loaded cargo
Texting, talking on the phone, surfing the internet, and other forms of distracted driving.
Both Keith and John were named to the Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in New York by The National Trial Lawyers.
John was named to the Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers in New York by The National Trial Lawyers three consecutive years in a row.
John and Keith were both selected as Upstate New York Rising Stars by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication.
Keith has been involved in trial verdicts totaling in excess of $17 million and settlements valued at more than $100 million on behalf of his clients.
United States Marine Corps & Police Officer
Keith has served in the United States Marine Corps and worked as a police officer for the City of Buffalo, where respect and honor are two of the foremost values.
Truck Accident Claims are Extremely Complex
- Truck collisions typically involve multiple parties beyond the driver’s insurance company. You may need to pursue the operator’s employer or the trucking company that owns the vehicle, if separate from the driver. A maintenance company, a manufacturer of components, or training facility may also be a potential party.
- Truck drivers typically carry insurance policies extended into the millions of dollars of coverage, which means the stakes are high for the insurer. These companies assign your claim to the best, most experienced agents, who have strategies for denying your claim.
Buffalo Truck Accident FAQs
How much can I recover as compensation for my losses?
Every case is different, so it’s not possible to calculate your exact monetary damages. However, you may find it helpful to learn the types of compensation you can recover. You may be entitled to economic damages for your medical costs, lost income, and other out-of-pocket expenses. You can also obtain non-economic damages, which include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life and,
- Losses based upon how your injuries affect your relationships with loved ones.
Are there any time limits on filing a lawsuit after a truck crash?
Yes, under New York’s statute of limitations, you have three years to initiate litigation for truck accident injuries. The time period starts the date of the collision. If you don’t file your lawsuit in court within this time period, you are forever barred from recovering compensation.
Do I need to hire a Buffalo truck accident lawyer to represent me?
There’s no legal requirement that you retain an attorney to represent you. Based upon the complexities of motor vehicle accident claims, and the complications mentioned above regarding truck crash cases, legal assistance is crucial. You put your rights at risk if you try to go it alone.